“Clean shirt, new shoes
And I don’t know where I am goin’ to.
Silk suit, black tie,
I don’t need a reason why.
They come runnin’ just as fast as they can
Coz’ every girl’s crazy ’bout a sharp dressed man.”
Let the words of the famous ZZ Top song sink in for a minute. Sure it’s a bit silly, but the words still ring true until this very day. Girls love a well dressed man. Don’t believe me? Check this out. According to a survey put out by Men’s Warehouse in 2011:
- Over 90 percent of Americans polled believe dressing well can make a man appear more attractive than he actually is.
- About 60 percent of Americans think a woman is more likely to marry a guy who dresses well.
- 75 percent of Americans believe a well-dressed man is more successful at work.
- Over 75 percent of women believe the sexiest thing a man can do for his appearance is dress well.
- The majority of women prefer a partner who dresses nicely over a partner who makes a lot of money.
So what’s the obvious take away here? How you dress matters.
Tips for Dressing to Turn Heads
Maybe you’ve been striking out with the ladies and you need some help turning heads. Or perhaps your wife is growing tired of our t-shirt and jeans and it’s time to shake things up. Whichever holds true, here are some ways you can dress to start getting some newly deserved attention.
1. Start with the shoes. There’s a lot of speculation that women notice a guy’s shoes first. Whether it’s true or not, they definitely do notice them. That means a few things. First, you need to take special care of the shoes you buy. Second, you need to take even more care of how clean you keep them. A little polish goes a long way. Third, if you aren’t working out, don’t wear workout shoes, brah. Invest in a nice pair of leather loafers or something along those lines.
2. Say NO to pleats. According to the aforementioned Men’s Warehouse poll, 85 percent of women agreed that flat front pants are the way to go. They make you look sleek and trim. Pleats, on the other hand, have been out of style for somewhere between 10-20 years now. To wear them at this point would just be straight up fashion suicide. They make your midsection look like a balloon. So unless you’re looking to land a senior, skip the pleats.
3. Your hair is part of your dress. It doesn’t matter how badass you dress if you don’t get the hair right. Not keeping that haircut fresh can take a clean look and turn you into a slob in disguise. A couple tips: get a haircut every month or so and lay off the hair gel. Starting to lose that hair? It’s okay, baldness happens. The question is, what are you doing about it? Trying for the comb over? Letting it grow out too long on the sides? You’re just aging yourself. Instead, keep it short and tight.
4. You need a just right fit. No matter how nice your clothes are, a bad fit will ruin your look. Wear your dress shirt too baggy and you look like a little kid. Wear your trousers too baggy and you look like a thug. But don’t overcompensate by going too tight, because then…well, then you look like a hipster douche.
5. Matching matters. Some guys don’t know how to match. And that’s okay. Ask someone for help. But remember, it’s okay to unexpectedly splash a little bold color in there. A bright shirt with a dark suit, off colored socks. Experiment a little bit.
6. Don’t be afraid to go vintage. Sometimes the right vintage find can make the ladies saw wow. An old fancy watch for instance, can be a real conversation starter. And the best part is, these finds are usually in cheap places like Goodwill.
7. You don’t have to break the bank. As number 6 suggests, dressing well doesn’t have to mean you’re spending a fortune. You just have to pick our spots. Hit up [high quality] thrift stores. Checkout sites like GreatDeals.com for coupons to high quality stores. Consider visiting one of those outlet malls.
It’s Never Too Late to Start
No matter how old you are, it’s never too late to change your fashion identity. A little will go a long way. And a good sense of style can take years off your age. But remember, your dress is only half the battle. The other half is how you carry yourself in those new duds!
Frank Gonzales considers himself a well-dressed, well-spoken man. And most of his readers agree. That said, he continues to share his style and life advice with men through his frequent blogging, hoping to pass on what he has learned to anyone willing to listen.